The New Year Brings Military Tuition Assistance Changes
The new Tuition Assistance program changes took effect this New Year’s. For an at-a-glance look at the changes and how it may affect your Tuition Assistance at California Intercontinental University, please see below
· There is a semester cap on the number of semester hours that can be taken using TA: 130 semester hours for baccalaureate degree and 39 semester hours for the master’s degree.
· You can take up to 16 semester hours per year.
· If you completed your undergraduate degree without using TA, you do not have to wait 10 years to use TA for a graduate degree.
· You can use TA one year after completing initial entry training (IET).
· TA still cannot be used to a secondary, equivalent degree.
· TA still cannot be used for the PhD, MD and JD.
· Non-degree language course remain TA eligible.
· TA can be used for one post-secondary certificate in trade programs such as computers or welding.
In 2013, the TA program funded the completion of 8,525 degrees for Active Soldiers, 1,469 for Reserve Soldiers and 1,359 for Guard Soldiers. The hope is that these new policy changes will keep military personnel who are in good standing in school while balancing the program budget.